Sunday, April 22, 2012

Flower Cookies - Completed

You've all seen these cookie dough balls getting cut up on Pinterest, right? Yeah, well when you click on the picture it always takes you to some bogus link and you never see what they turn out like.  For some reason, I was skeptical that they would be cute and conveniently, when I saw this idea, I had some leftover sugar cookie dough (recipe here) in the fridge just waiting for the experiment. 

I made up some 1" balls and rolled them in pink or blue sugar.

 Then I cut them in half and then those halves into thirds.
By the way, cutting the whole into sixths just didn't work.

If you cut them too deep, just push them back together.

I chose to bake them 'as is' and not do anything for the center.

Here's how they baked up.

Actually, kind of cute and fun.

The backs were colorful and sugary.

Why was I skeptical these would turn out cute?  They were actually adorable and so fun to bite off a petal.  And so easy!  Next time I will add something to the center like... more sugar?  Or a pastel kiss?  Or a frosting dollop?  Or?  Hmmm... I'll have to think about it.  These would be so cute in the right colors for a spring party or a baby shower.  I will definitely be making them again.

10 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! You are right! I had seen the image on pinterest and spent some time searching google for what they look like finished and NO ONE had it, just the same image and sometimes a recipe or how-to... These are so cute! I think I'll make some tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks BunnyKissed - so glad to be helpful. I am definitely going to make these again. They are cute and have that sugar cookie yumminess without all the work of cutting and decorating. Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a pastel M&M would be cute in the middle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for showing how yours turned out -- very helpful.

    I think I am going to try them with a candy center, or maybe a little piped frosting (because of the dough I will use).

    FWIW, I had been wondering about the "finished" look, too, based on the Pinterest image. I pinned from the original BHG (Better Homes and Gardens) feed, but still didn't quite know how they'd look when baked. Today I figured out that you have to click the previous slide to see the finished cookie. The image you show here is the "how to" -- the slide before shows the baked cookie with a candy in the center. (http://www.bhg.com/christmas/parties/christmas-cookie-exchange-party/?page=14&socsrc=bhgpin0404512holidayblossoms#page=13)

    Also note -- BHG pins often go to a "free membership" screen first, but if you just look at the upper right you'll see a button to 'continue to your destination' without signing up. I think this confuses people and makes some angry on Pinterest.

    Hope that helps someone!

    Happy baking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update. And I like your idea of some frosting in the middle. With the right tip on a frosting bag, it could be a very nice touch. As for that darned pinterest link, the one I tried was just a total dead end. Your link is much better. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing a real link!! Will definitely pin this one, and try the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how do you make the colored sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it's just store bought sugar. But I have heard that you can shake some sugar in a jar with a few drops of food coloring to get colored sugar.

      Delete
  8. Did any1 try to Just cut the dough with a knife instead of with scissors? Seems like a knife would be a little easier & less aggravating.

    ReplyDelete

Lemon tree very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet-
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

Related Posts with Thumbnails