Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Changing Directions

Well, it's been one controversy after another on the school board - redistricting, grinding, budget cuts... what a year. No wonder there's been a complete turnover of school board members in three year's time (except for me). But really, I don't want to talk about that. This is my happy, creative blog, right? Right.
And amidst all the school district turmoil, I've been getting really excited about a change in direction for my Etsy shop. I've been selling a lot of vintage items and I like vintage stuff, but it's not my first love. I'm glad I've gotten a chance to learn how Etsy works and all, but it's time for me to infuse some of my creativity into RubyLemons.
So, I've made some decisions... and they all have something to do with my sewing machines.  Yes, I have three of them:  one for regular sewing, one for buttonholes, and one for serging.  Except for the serger, they are vintage machines that work like a hot knife through butter (pronounced "butta").  Gotta love the power in the old rotary sewing machines.  I can sew through five layers of denim with ease.  It was 20 years ago when I got my Westinghouse Free Rotary at an antique auction.  Believe it or not, I thought I was buying just the wood cabinet for my pricey winning bid of $13.  It seemed just the right height to put my cheap "new" sewing machine on (long since donated to Goodwill.)  When I started to move the cabinet at pick up time, it was surprisingly heavy.  Opening the lid, a discovery was made -- there was an old sewing machine inside! 
When I got it home and tested it out, it sewed like BUTTA!  And it backstitched!  Whoo hoo!  And it had all the attachments to quilt, tuck, gather, hem and on and on.  I have loved my old $13 sewing machine.
What am I going to sew with my Free Westinghouse rotary?
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lemon tree very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet-
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

Related Posts with Thumbnails