Thursday, September 17, 2009

Fairytale Lovers?


I've had these two beautiful, richly color prints for a long time and I am preparing them to sell in my Etsy shop.  These fairy tale couples caught my fancy about 20 years ago in a barn sale.  They are actually pages from a book printed in the 1890s.  That's about all I know.  When I first purchased them, I looked up the names on the internet.  There was very little information available at the time.
There are now thousands of internet listings for the fairy tale, Prince Cherry.  Here he is accepting the magic ring from the fairy, Candide. Sent by Prince Cherry's father, the ring has amazing powers to keep our poor, stupid prince in line... kind of like a CTR ring with consequences.  Unfortunately, Prince Cherry has to learn the hard way to be good and kind and faithful, but he does... eventually. Kinda like the rest of us, I guess.
Now, I can understand not finding anything about these two on the internet years ago when I looked them up, but I was surprised to still find absolutely nothing again just a few days ago.  There was one listing on Google.  It was the same picture -- but no story!  Will I ever know the story of Graciosa & Piercinet?  Why is Piercinet on his knee with his hat off?  Is he proposing?  Is Graciosa holding up her hand in refusal?  Why are they in a secluded wood?  Inquiring minds want to know!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Lemon tree very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet-
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

Related Posts with Thumbnails