Saturday, October 24, 2009

Jack-O-Lanterns

People do amazing things with pumpkins at Halloween.  I am blown away by the creativity and talent I see in jack-o-lantern carving nowadays.  Pumpkin is a great medium for carving and the possibilities are endless.

We carve pumpkins every year.  Usually it's a fairly quick and dirty routine.  Often just in the nick of time to display so the trick-or-treaters will know to stop at our house.  Every single solitary year with out fail, my husband carves a Cyclops jack-o-lantern.  It's the easy way out - one less eye to carve.  That's what I think, but perhaps he is a little fixated on Cyclops.  Here's an example of one of his lone-eyed, Polyphemus pumpkins.

That's just one big giant eye above the mouth.
My husband is always the first one done.

Usually, I like to get off-color pumpkins - sounds like a bad joke... a little off-color.  Anyway, I guess they aren't pumpkins - maybe gourds, I suppose.  Last year I got carried away with teeth.
 
A recent favorite was a couple of years ago.  I saw a guy on Regis and Kelly who did this and I thought it was pretty gross, but appropriate for Halloween - so I gave it a try.

The big mean pumpkin is chomping down on the puny weak little pumpkin who is so frightened he is vomiting pumpkin seeds and innards.  Sorry if that is a little much for any of you, but I thought it was funny.

2 comments:

  1. Dad and his infamous cyclops pumpkin!! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A jack o lantern costume creates a fun and spooky Halloween look while keeping the classic pumpkin theme alive. I also like how jack o lantern costume adds extra character to the celebration through themed jackets, accessories, and decorations. These matching details can make any Halloween outfit feel more creative and memorable.

    ReplyDelete

Lemon tree very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet-
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

Related Posts with Thumbnails