Friday, April 16, 2010

Granted... These Quilts are Old (1 of 2)

I was born in Texas and while my family lived there in Fort Worth, my parents became good friends with some older neighbors -- the Beards.  I still remember relaxing on the Beard's front porch glider finding relief from those hot Texas summer days while feeling the cool concrete under my bare feet.  Claude and Jimmie Lee were wonderful, kind, funny, generous people.  On one of our annual visits back to Texas after we moved to Wisconsin, the Beards, who knew my mother loved quilting, gave her two family quilts.  My mother gave them to me during my parents' last move.  This is one of the quilts.

I don't know the exact pattern name of this patchwork,
but it has a bit of a "churn dash" look.

Each section of the quilt is made up of 25 squares
and each of those squares are made up of more pieces.

The fabrics vary, but overall, there is a red, white and blue theme.

The pieces are hand stitched together and hand quilted.

This quilt was made in Shiloh, Georgia by Mrs. Beard's grandmother, Epsi Addaline Grant, who was born in 1849 and lived to be 90 years old.  Epsi was the first cousin of our 18th president, Ulysses S. Grant.

I don't know the exact age of the quilt, although I'm sure it could be pinpointed by someone with more knowledge than I have... but I'm guessing it was made in the late 1800s.  If anyone has a better guess, I'd be happy to hear from you.

One more thing:  When folding it, I noticed something on the back of the quilt and realized it was writing and was backwards.  Holding it up to the mirror, I read three lines with a capital letter "G" underneath.  The three lines said, "WORTH STANDARD SHEETING."  Perhaps that's another clue to the age of the quilt.  Worth must have been a company that manufactured muslin.  Google didn't provide me any answers.  It's still a mystery.  The second Grant quilt soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lemon tree very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet-
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

Related Posts with Thumbnails