Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ragged Mystery

Long just a folded up bundle of fabric on my red shelf, this piece of brocade is actually an old dress... housecoat... day dress?  I'm not sure.
I hung it on the dress dummy to see what the heck it is.

OK, what is it?

I don't remember when or where I got it... or why.

It is an unusual oriental brocade.

But it's unbelievably worn out and ragged.

How old is it?  Who did it belong to?  Why is it so wrecked?

Could the tags hold a clue?  Maybe my old friend Google will have something to tell me.  Hmmm... there are numerous businesses called Sanwa Trading Co. Ltd. all over the country selling everything from dental equipment to groceries.  I did find vintage electronics from Sanwa of Japan... kind of like a Sony, I guess. Well, there are more labels...

OK, this is silk.  That explains the wear.  Maybe someone tried to wash it or it was left in the sun... or it's just really old or all three.  It seems 30s or 40s to me... or even 50s - like a kitsch 50s dress that Lucy might have worn to be chic Hollywood, ya know?  Mrs. Havisham?  I'm getting nothing from Google on these tags.  Anyone out there in cyberspace have a clue?

1 comment:

Lemon tree very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet-
But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

Related Posts with Thumbnails